Monday, April 4, 2011

Fresh Sheet Post March 14 "Old Sow"

I had an old sow of some 13 years named Twinky who last week finally gave up the ghost and expired of old age. I was at a bit of a loss as to what to do with her being the snow is still deep and the ground still frozen. I considered the dumpster but it seemed such an ignoble and useless end when a friend suggested that leave her to the eagles. So in a toboggan I towed her out to the end of the farm by the river and leaving her, I set up my binoculars in the window of the back room of the house to keep an eye out. It wasn't long before the white heads of mature birds and the brown of the young ones started appearing in the trees. They arrived in the morning were gone during the mid day (I suspect to digest) and then back again in the late afternoon. Two or three days and she was gone. Harsh, perhaps, but only for Twinky's carcass. The eagles are having a rough go of it this year and possibly some will survive that might not have otherwise. Or maybe not. Either way, around and around we go on the circle of life.

No comments:

Post a Comment